Saturday, January 5, 2013

Placemat Tutorial



This is a really simple placemat tutorial using 3 fat quarters and 2 jelly roll strips per placemat.  I am using my stash of Vintage Modern by Bonnie & Camille.  The top is very simple to piece and can be done in 30 minutes or less.  Finishing the placemat (quilting and binding) will take longer depending on how you quilt it.

To start with, pick out your jelly roll strips, a main print for the front, the backing, and the binding.

Cut the Main fabric into 8.75" by 14.75".

Next, pair the jelly roll strips, right sides together, and sew down the length of the strip, using a quarter inch seam allowance.


Press open the strip.



Cut into  13-2.5 inch segments.



Sew 4 different lengths.
         2 pairs
         3 pairs
         4 pairs
         4 pairs


Arrange them and sew them in the following order.


The finished top should look like:


Make a quilt sandwich using a fat quarter, a layer of batting, and finally the top.  Quilt as desired.

Binding: Cut four 2.25 inch strips from the long side of the fat quarter.  I like using the Distant Pickles tutorial when putting on binding.

Here are my first four placemats on my old table.  I will share the two new ones and my new table when I am done binding them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...