Tuesday, November 15, 2011




This year Claire was Princess Pea from Super Why! for Halloween.  Claire is obsessed with princess dresses, so I picked out a princess from her favorite show.  The dress was fairly simple, I began with The Party Dress from The Cottage Home.  Then I started to adjust it to make it more like Princess Pea.

The first thing I did was make it longer. The original pattern hits Claire just below the knee, I extended it a few inches to hit her lower calf.  If I had to do it again, I would shorten it just a bit more to make it easier to walk in.

Then I added a second layer of gathered chiffon. I used the same dimensions as the satin skirt to make it nice and full.    



The final addition to the skirt was to make the satin slip on top.  I draped the fabric over one side of the dress and cut two.  Instead of hemming the slip I folded the green satin in half and sewed it to the edge.

I also made bias tape out of the green satin and edged the arm holes and neck hole. Then I added a felt star to the front and a cape to the back.


The costume turned out great and we had a great time trick or treating in the neighborhood with her dad, the monkey.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...